4 kinds of love:
1. Eros--physical attaction
2. Phileo--love among friends or boy-girl relations, conditional and limited
3. Storge--exclusively for filial relations
4. Agape--concern for others, unselfish, committed, willing; not emotional but deliberate
5 Reasons why we should love
1. God's very nature is love
-It serves as the motivation and action for us (vv8, 16b).
-We need to behave like him, where the sone is a mirror of the Father.
2. God paid a high price to show His love (vv.9,10)
-We don't deserve to be saved, but He gave it anyway.
3. We grow in maturity when we love (vv.17,18)
-We become perfect, growing spiritually.
4. Loving others is proof of His dwelling in us (vv.12, 13, 16)
-It is the Spirit within us that empowers us to love
5. Loving others is proof that we love God (vv.19-21)
-We must show our love for Him by showing His love for others through us.
*based on 1John4:7-21
by Rev. Alex Uy